I never knew about Soy Candle wax until I started searching the web for candles. I knew soy was good for you as far as eating was concerned but then I found out it is better for candle burning as well.
Why choose Soy candles? Because burning paraffin candles have been identified as causing more damage than inhaling second hand smoke. When I read that in a magazine, it made me think so I looked into it a bit more.
Paraffin wax is made from petroleum and produces carcinogens and soot when burned. In fact, one air quality researcher stated that "the soot from a paraffin candle contains many of the same toxins produced by burning diesel fuel." That sounded a bit scary to me since I have two young grandchildren that often visit.
Burning paraffin wax can also set off various allergies and who needs more of those?
Soy candles come from a vegetable (soy beans), are non-toxic, do not produce soot, are 100% biodegradable, burn 50% longer, and burn at a lower temperature than paraffin. Soy candles burn clean with no toxins or soot. The fact that they burn longer is an added bonus! Have you tried to clean candle soot off your walls, carpet, couch, and appliances? I found it can become impossible. The electrically charged bond is too strong for household cleaners to break.
Soy Candle spills clean up with hot soapy water. These factors tend to make them more animal and child-friendly than traditional candles. I sure enjoy anything that is easier to clean up.
Soy candles offer a cleaner and healthier alternative, yet many people are not even aware that they exist. So if you want that wonderful candle ambiance but want to reduce your health risks and do the right thing internally, give soy candles a try.
Tip of the day
You should never blow out a candle because that is how you get smoke. No smoke is ever good for you. The best way to extinguish the flame is to dunk the wick into the melted oil and wait for the flame to go out then gently stand the wick up again. (use something long that will not catch fire … made from metal) or use a candle wick snuffer … these can be bought at most dollar stores. You will keep a cleaner smell in your home as well as save your wick for a longer period of time.