Have you ever thought about how polluted is your indoor environment? When we think of pollution most of us think of outdoor pollution, but as you may have learned your indoor environment is also subject to pollution. Indoor pollutants include mold, household chemicals, and tobacco smoke, just to name a few. The pollutant we are going to focus on this article is paraffin candles. Many people enjoy the fragrance and glow of candles, but do not realize that they are polluting their home by burning ordinary candles. The smoke emitted from paraffin candles has been compared to second hand cigarette smoke and / or diesel fuel. Wicks often contain lead which is released when burned. These pollutant particles are very fine and go directly into the lungs and the blood stream.
Luckily the problem can be easily corrected. If you want a truly chemical free environment while burning candles, choose soy. By burning only 100% Soy Candles you can get the great scent you love with less toxins. As with the foods you eat, it is important to read the labels of the candles you burn (you and your children are ingesting that smoke). Unta a candle is labeled 100% soy it may contain paraffin or other chemical pollutants. Unless the wicks are 100% cotton they may even contain lead.
Additionally, you can choose Beeswax candles. They are another great natural solution. Finally, double check the packaging before you buy because as with the soy, otherwise it is marked 100% beeswax it may contain hazardous pollutants.